Format and Publication Schedule
After the third issue of Deep Times, we changed to a twice a year publication schedule, in the May and November. We are also experimenting with a web-based edition, to make the articles more readable and accessible. We regret that we cannot regularly publish a print edition. The design and layout for a web-based journal is quite different from what is needed for print, and the sales of the print edition of the first two issues were insufficient to support the expense. We still have beautiful hard copies of the Spring and Summer 2016 issues for sale for people who prefer to read from paper. It is also possible to print out individual stories from this web-based issue. In future, as resources allow, we may publish print editions for special issues.
Deep Times: A Journal of the Work That Reconnects welcomes articles and interviews related to the Work That Reconnects (also called Active Hope in some parts of the world): its theory, applications, use with various populations, etc. We also accept poems, articles, and artwork addressing one of the stages of the Spiral: gratitude, honoring our pain for the world, seeing with new eyes, and going forth in service to life. We welcome news from the Work That Reconnects Network, as well as reviews of books, music, and other resources.
Topics may include:
- gratitude for Earth and for the ecological/social justice movement,
- The Great Turning,
- honoring our pain for the world, and the Great Unraveling,
- deep time (thinking like a mountain) or the Fourth Time (past, present, and future as one),
- systems thinking (thinking like an ecosystem),
- deep ecology (the wisdom of honoring all life as sacred circle),
- paticca samuppada (mutual causality, dependent co-arising, or interbeing),
- the shift in perception of flows vs. things,
- our collective work to create new systems, especially those welcoming to all peoples and cultures
- preserving the good and holding actions to stop destruction, and
- how we clarify our roles as agents of the Great Turning towards a life sustaining and just culture.
Preference will be to publish work or translations by practitioners of the Work.
Length: for essays or interviews: up to 1500 words or so. Submit at least two months prior to expected publication date by using the the WTR contact form. Upon acceptance, please send a 100 word bio and headshot (400 kb file) for our contributor information.
NOTE: In August 2017, we’ll publish a special issue with a guest editorial team of people of color; this issue will be available in print as well as on the web. The guest editorial team are inviting specific people to contribute articles for this issue.