Format and Publication Schedule
After the third issue of Deep Times, we moved to a twice a year publication schedule and a web-based edition to make the articles more readable and accessible. We regret that we cannot regularly publish a print edition. The design and layout for a web-based journal is quite different from what is needed for print, and the sales of the print edition of the first two issues were insufficient to support the expense. We still have beautiful hard copies of the Spring and Summer 2016 issues for sale for people who prefer to read from paper. It is also possible to print out individual stories from this web-based issue. In future, as resources allow, we may publish print editions for special issues.
Currently, we plan to publish in March and September, although that can change due to the vicissitudes of life.
Deep Times: A Journal of the Work That Reconnects welcomes articles and interviews related to the Work That Reconnects (also called Active Hope in some parts of the world): its theory, applications, use with various populations, etc. We also accept poems, articles, and artwork addressing one of the stages of the Spiral: gratitude, honoring our pain for the world, seeing with new/ancient eyes, and going forth in service to life. We welcome news from the Work That Reconnects Network, as well as reviews of books, music, and other resources.
Topics may include:
- gratitude for Earth and for the ecological/social justice movement,
- The Great Turning,
- honoring our pain for the world, and the Great Unraveling,
- deep time or the Fourth Time (past, present, and future as one),
- systems thinking (thinking like an ecosystem),
- deep ecology (the wisdom of honoring all life as sacred circle),
- undoing oppression and racism; addressing power and privilege,
- paticca samuppada (mutual causality, dependent co-arising, or interbeing),
- the shift in perception of flows vs. things,
- our collective work to create new systems, especially those welcoming to all peoples and cultures,
- preserving the good and holding actions to stop destruction,
- how we clarify our roles as agents of the Great Turning towards a life sustaining and just culture, and
- how the Work That Reconnects is related to other traditions and systems of thought, e.g. ecopsychology and indigenous teachings.
We give preference to work submitted by practitioners of the Work That Reconnects, including writings by practitioners that have been translated into English.
Length: for essays or interviews: 500 to 2000 words.
Submit at least two months prior to expected publication date to [email protected] The editorial team will review your submission and decide whether it fits our criteria as well as the theme of the upcoming issue. In some cases, we may suggest publishing your piece in a later issue that has a more closely related theme.
- One of our editors will communicate with you with requests for any changes or revisions needed.
- Please send a 100 word bio and headshot (400 kb file) for our contributor information.
- Please send an audio file of articles or poems in the author’s voice. If that is not possible, we will find another reader to record the audio version.
- We are committed to making Deep Times journal accessible to visually-impaired people. So we ask that you send a detailed description of any artwork that we can include as a caption (to be read by screen reader programs).
Attention to the use of “we.”